Camp Zoe overview:
- 30 Special Needs Children (Campers), ages 10-13.
- 2 nights, 2½ days – Friday after school until Sunday afternoon (March 27th – 29th, 2009).
- A wonderful experience for the children.
- A much needed respite for their families.
- A transformative experience for Camp Zoe volunteers – the result of working with these beautiful children.
How many people will be at the camp?
This year we are inviting 30 campers. We will have 14 special education school volunteer members (including a School Nurse & Social Worker). We will also have 10 volunteers from the local community to run camping activities for the kids. All of the volunteers are experienced in safely supporting and supervising children in an overnight camp setting.
Who will come to Camp Zoe?
- The 30 campers will be students selected from applicants with various severe physical and mental challenges.
- All the children have varying degrees of mental retardation and benefit from a more sheltered school and camp environment.
- Most of our staff have many years experience in helping children with special needs.
- 10 staff will be selected from the local community – energetic staff members with experience from other camps. These program directors and support counselors will work together with special education volunteers to develop modified activities specially tailored for the campers.
What kind of activities are done at Camp Zoe?
Camp Zoe activities will be structured similarly to those of a typical overnight summer camp…Saturday will start with breakfast. Then campers and staff will rotate through three morning activities – arts & crafts, music and sports. Everyone will break for lunch and a short rest, then go on to an early afternoon activity. After this, there will be a rest and relaxation break in the cabins. In the late afternoon, there will be a group activity, then dinner. After dinner: Friday night will be campfire fun, while Saturday night will be movie night.
Camp Zoe details
- We rent a camp for fifty-eight persons, 2 nights, 6 meals. We are charged per person, per day for every person in our group.
- We will have a full program of activities, including sports, art, music, campfire, movie night and much more.
- We will bus the children and volunteers from Los Angeles to camp via chartered bus. Our camp program will be fully covered with the maximum liability insurance.